Construction National

Magazine, Online Directory and Web Design Service

Mon23102017

Last updateFri, 20 Oct 2017 3pm

Legal

Skanska accepts blacklist inquiry request

The firm received the invitation on Thursday and has said it will give evidence, but has yet to decide who will appear in front of the committee, Mr Putnam said.

Several high profile contractors have come under the spotlight for their involvement with The Consulting Association, which was shut down in 2009 after a raid by the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Read more: Skanska accepts blacklist inquiry request

Vince Cable seeks blacklisting meeting with Information Commissioner

Business secretary Vince Cable is seeking assurances that new allegations of blacklisting will be “investigated thoroughly”.

Following last week’s parliamentary debate, which approved a motion put forward on blacklisting by Labour counterpart Chuka Umunna, Cable condemned the practice but said there would be no major new investigation unless evidence is produced that the practice is ongoing.

However, the business secretary yesterday wrote to Information Commissioner Christopher Graham seeking a meeting on how any new evidence will be dealt with and how this will be co-ordinated with the ongoing inquiry by the Scottish Affairs select committee.

Read more: Vince Cable seeks blacklisting meeting with Information Commissioner

FiTs court claim swells to £140m

The group claims that “poor policy handling and illegal early cuts” led to a sudden slump in orders, cuts to profit margins, contract cancellations, damage to confidence, a surplus of inventory and thousands of redundancies.

All 17 individual claims are being consolidated by the High Court into a single claim against the Department of Energy and Climate Change. The case began as a £2.2m claim from three firms in July 2012, but has since ballooned.

Earlier this month it emerged that major contractor Breyer Group had become the most high-profile company to become embroiled in the row with DECC.

Read more: FiTs court claim swells to £140m

Chuka Umunna: blacklist victims should get compensation from contractors

Mr Umunna was expected to use today’s debate to say it was an “utter disgrace” that contractors who used TCA had not apologised for membership of the now closed organisation.

He was speaking the day after Sir Robert McAlpine non-executive director Cullum McAlpine admitted the firm had used TCA to vet employees for groundworks on the Olympic Park. The workers who were checked did not show up on TCA files, and Mr McAlpine said they were unaffected by the checks.

Read more: Chuka Umunna: blacklist victims should get compensation from contractors

Solar legal claim swells to £50m

The legal action against the government from solar firms claiming lost earnings caused by illegal changes to the solar electricity feed-in tariff has swelled to £50m after more firms joined the action.

Prospect Law said it has issued a Letter Before Claim to the Department of Energy and Climate Change on behalf of a further five solar installation and construction companies, bringing to eight the number of firms taking action against the government.

The request brings the total demand for compensation of losses incurred by the unlawful cuts to the solar feed-in-tariff (FIT) to approximately £50m, up from the initial demand of £2.2m made in July.

Read more: Solar legal claim swells to £50m